Thursday, December 1, 2011

Taking a Break from Social Media

This week, I'm embarking on a (somewhat daunting) self-experiment.

I'm signing off of Facebook for seven days.

Facebook Screenshot
PhotoCredit: codemastersnake on flickr


 
Why?  Well, quite frankly, I think I've become a little too dependent, a little too attached, and I need to take a step back.  I want to see what life looks like when I'm not refreshing my news feed every thirty minutes.  I want to see who I miss, and who misses me.  I want to see if, ultimately, the time I devote to staying "connected" is worth it.

Another blogger challenged her readers to do a 7 day Facebook fast, and I jumped on that wagon pretty quick.  I've felt for a long time that the world's favorite social media site is far too high on my list of priorities, when it really should be far closer to the bottom.

In the interest of full disclosure, I won't be changing any of my other surfing habits, just abstaining from logging into Facebook until the morning of December 8th. 

How will it go?  I'm not sure, but I'm looking to finding out!

What about you?  Have you ever given up something that was superficially important to you?  How did it go?  Were you happy with the results?

No comments:

Post a Comment